Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Usrah?

You know earlier today, well umm not very much earlier just few minutes ago actually, a friend asked me about usrah. All this while I've been in a community that knows the word 'usrah'. Never occured to me that it might be totally foreign to other people. I knew the word when I was 12 years old but never quite understood it like I do now. I think my friends in college got the wrong idea too. We'd say usrah is when we do religious activities. Being in INTEC I know now there is so much to it than just that. This friend of mine [no name disclosed] cannot speak malay but she is interested to join usrah. Alhamdulillah :)

Here's the flaw now isn't it? The language barrier. It's such a pity really. There is so much to learn from each other but due to the fact that we all do not speak one common language things are difficult. Being a Malay, it is all so very natural to discuss issues concerning religion in Malay but don't you realise what happens here? The group becomes more secluded and rather isolated. What I understand about usrah is the importance of spreading knowledge. Spreading awareness to others. Dakwah I should say, aside from strengthening your own iman and learning. Because of this don't you think a various knowledge of language is important? The two common well versed languages would be Malay & English. For my case that is and for many others here in Malaysia. Some people do not see the importance in looking for religious materials in english rather than Malay. This is again such a pity. Language can do a lot of things therefore we should master it. We should change things. Trouble is for me, I don't know where to start. Not even sure how.

Do you?


P/s: I'm giving a speech tomorrow. You're welcome to hear it if you're nearby. "Informing; a responsibility" Pray to Allah I'll do fine okay? Thanks :) May Allah bless you.

2 comments:

  1. ble mase ade blog baru?!hahaha..patot ah xde updates dlm blog lame...

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha...baru je. last month. tgk la, posts pun baru 14. :P

    ReplyDelete